The mission of the Care Ministry is to show the compassion of Christ through caring for the physical & spiritual needs of people associated with the Church. The Care Ministry is an integral part of the community involvement of the Church and is headed up by Louis Grussendorff and ably assisted by a team of dedicated lay volunteers.
The Care Ministry includes the following practical activities identified over the years to be of importance:
1. Pastoral Visitation
- New people visiting the Church
All new people visiting the Church are welcomed and encouraged to complete visitor cards for follow up. Those who complete the cards are visited and encouraged to join cell groups where they can be nurtured and cared for. Get-together functions are arranged to help new people become integrated into the life of the Church.
- Visitation of Church members and adherents
Pastoral visits are made to Church members and adherents for care and encouragement. Homes in and around Howick and in the farming districts are visited. Visits are also made to the Retirement villages in Howick and Frail Care centre. Volunteer caregivers are assigned areas to do follow up visits.
- Visitation to the Sick
Volunteer caregivers also assist with visiting people who are sick or hospitalized and offer post surgery care, whenever required or requested.
2. Benevolent Fund
A fund has been operating in the Church for a number of years called the “Benevolent Fund”. A budget is approved by the Church each year and is used to assist, especially pensioners, and people who have been disadvantaged for various reasons.
The fund is administered by a committee which meets monthly to prayerfully consider requests made for assistance. Funds are used to supplement some pensions, especially Zimbabwean pensioners, to assist with medical bills of those unable to meet costs, funds towards transport and also funds for groceries and food parcels.
3. Counselling and Consultation
- Counselling to a limited extent is offered by a few members of the Care Ministry but most people are either referred to the Senior Pastor or Christian Medical Practitioners or a Psychologist.
- Consultation is given in the form of advice on matters such as personal finance, seeking medical help, job opportunities, certain family issues etc. People are referred to trained & experienced practitioners in the various areas mentioned above.
Any enquiries can be referred to Erwin Burmester
Telephone: +27 33 330 5943
Cell: +27 79 500 6198